Thursday, May 28, 2009

Student Profile No.1: Tafsir Diallo














Who are you?
I am Tafsir Diallo. I am a Third year political science student. I was born in Guinea west Africa, but raised in Toronto Ontario.

What do you do?
I'm also the production director for Western's Campus radio station, 94.9 CHRW. I also host a show called, The Backpack Chronicles that airs the first Saturday of each month. We've have artists from The Kid Famous, Zaki Ibrahim. I run a blog called the Art of Fresh at
http://dyallo.wordpress.com

What's your personal style?
Amalgamation of everything. Instead of cordinating, I try to wear things that usually wouldn't go together. I think that's where fashion comes from, it's your own. I could be wearing Gucci shoes and an urban t-shirt from echelon. I could be wearing a cardigan and a dress shirt together and sag my pants at the same time.
I don't match. It's like a tornado hit me but way flyer.

What are your fashion inspirations?
Madman. Don Draper. Myself, pardon the arrogance. Hypebeast is a great site for inspiration too. I have to say though, that anyone who frequents Kanye's site for fashion advice is a lost case. No redemption from that.

What parts of clothing are your favourite?
Shoes, I'm a shoe addict. Shoes make the outfit.
If you're wearing high fashion brands and top it off with birkenstocks, you know you done fucked up, right.

What’s your recent obsession?
I don't obsess. This is isn't Sex and The City. This is my life. I just do as I please. I don't like to repeat the same routine, I'm a fan of novelty. In order to maintain that, I can't obsess. New is the new black.

Favourite Designer?
Tafsir Diallo. I'd like to think I'm my own brand. I feel that each individual should feel the same way. Ralph Lauren makes clothes that Ralph Lauren likes. That's his standard. My clothes are a reflection of my standard. Thus, I have to be my own favourite designer.

Do you keep up with new collections/trend?
YES, I'm a fashion whore. I look for new, and interesting fashion styles wherever I can. It can be on campus, club, lounges, online, music videos. Mostly though, I look to the past to inspire my collection. Other than that, I like urban brands such as BBC, The hundreds, Rocksmith.

Where do you get new information on fashion?
Usually lifestyle blogs. I don't appreciate blogs or media sources simply dedicated to fashion. I'm all about a lifestyle. I could give a damn about a brand name. But if it's congruent with my lifestyle goals, then it's something that I will appreciate. It has to be larger than life.

What kind of style or fashion item do you want to experiment in near future?
I want to get preppy cricket sweaters.

Do you wear certain colors?
I like to limit the colors that I wear. I want it to be neat.

What are interesting things you've been doing recently?
I've been researching about movies a lot. I want to make movies, tell stories. The picture you took tells a story. If I am wearing my supra, it tells a different story from if I am wearing a cardigan.

Tell me about the magazine you're working on.
It's a student lifestyle magazine. There will be various issues. It's going to be about different aspects of life, for students. We're looking at September for the first issue.

No comments: