Sunday, February 21, 2010

Student Profile No.2: Steven Ritchie and Static Wear







Who are you?
My name is steven ritchie. I'm a second year student at UWO and i run my own t-shirt line.

What's personal style?
I like to mix and match with new styles. My style evolves so I get new stuff but I still keep the old pieces.
I currently like street type clothes mixed with a classier look. Sometimes I bring out racy pieces just for the stares.

So How did you style evolve?
When I was younger I tried to fit in with styles, so there were baggie jeans, polo shirts, then skinny jeans, band shirts, American Apparel…. Then when I came to university I got more interested in fashion, the more high end stuff, mens wear and street wear. I’m trying to move solely into mens wear but I still don’t want to stop wearing street wear though.

What got you interested in fashion?
Actually Gossip girl, Chuck Bass has the best wardrobe of life. And fashion magazines.

What’s your favourite brand?
Nothing in particular – but I like H&M, Uniqlo – I have not seen the real clothes but it seems very nice – Burberry Prosrum, the ones coming out, Commes de Garcons, not the haute couture but the Ready-To-Wear, and Thom Browne. Street wise I like The Hundreds a lot and the small time brands too.

What are your Western fashion do’s and dont's?
Just don’t wear something because everyone has it. Don’t worry about standing out. You are an individual, dress like one.

Do you think that people are scared to wear something different? Or do you think some people are just not interested in fashion?
I think that people in general are very judgmental. That’s why most people dress just like their friends. I come from Oakville and there is no contributing styles or shopping districts, whereas in London, there are boutiques and a lot more opportunities to dress differently.

What are you involved this year in school?
I’m part of style society and the retail business club.


ABOUT STATIC WEAR


Tell me about Static Wear
It’s mostly personal interest. I draw inspiration from everything around me in my day-to-day life. I make it mainly for my friends and myself, what we like to wear. It doesn’t fit in specific genre of clothing.

What got you interested in doing this?
I had a bunch of ideas of what I thought would look good on shirts and one of my friends was doing it at the time so I got some pointers from him. I took a break for a while because I lost motive but I was looking for print shops one day and I found out about Johnny Cupcakes. I did some research on him. He produces clothes that are limited edition. He is bigger in the states, but he now hosts business lectures and other community type events. He’s made millions and is great inspiration along with The Hundreds based in L.A.

What’s new with Static Wear?
I just released winter hats and hoodies.


What’s the process of getting these products made?
So first is design or an idea. I have to sketch it out or make a basic plan. Then I put it on computer and touch it up and everything in Photoshop. I send it over to the print shop and get them printed. Finally I pick them up!

Are there a lot of print shops?
Yeah, I get my stuff made mostly in Oakville. I think purple door is way too expensive. There is a shop called Fresh Ink Apparel down on Wellington street that I tried out once and they were great. It’s just a mission to get there right now without the buses.


How do you do your research?
I do my research mostly online although I like to read up on stuff in magazines or just through talking to people.

Where do you see Static Wear going?
Static Wear is solely for fun, I don’t do it for the money. It’s cool to see people wearing my stuff though and that’s the best thing I get out of it.

Are you interested in expanding it?
Well, yes if my customer base get bigger, I want to do more hoodies and think of more designs for sure.



Where can people get static wear?
Through me is the best way. Just contact me.

What’s your advice to people who want to do something similar?
Do your research. Know lots of people. It takes a lot more than it seems. If you know people who own stores, ask them what you need to get your stuff in there. Find a mentor who you can ask anything you need.


Tell me about a recent project you are working on.
I am making a short animation film with a couple guys in Australia and a guy in Norway.
I help model the environment and assets such as furniture and stuff.
I always got inspired by animation, especially by Pixar. Their movies are beautiful.


To learn more about Static Wear and Steven Ritchie:

Photo credit: Chelsi Shenaynay M

No comments: